Back to Certification

Why do I need to have a Gas check done?

By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it's your responsibility as a Landlord to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all of the pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

If you use an agent to manage your property, you need to make sure your contract clearly states whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances. You must also keep copies of all the paperwork.

You'll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your tenants change, the new tenants need a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before they move in. If your contract says the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them.

Legally you only have to carry out a gas safety inspection every twelve months but we recommend getting appliances checked between tenants as well to be sure your appliances are in first class condition before your new tenants move in.

A Gas Safety Inspection is a visual inspection and functional test of all of your gas appliances and their safety devices not an annual appliance service but we can of course complete an annual service at the same time for a reduced rate.